If classic country is your forte, Johnny Cash tracks may be the best choice for your next karaoke playlist. Johnny Cash helped to influence the course of history where country music is concerned. He also sang some extremely creative and story-rich tunes that audiences of all kinds can enjoy.
I’ve been listening to Johnny Cash and singing karaoke for over ten years. I’m happy to use my combined knowledge to share some of the best Johnny Cash karaoke songs with you and some advice on singing karaoke to help you have the best karaoke experience possible at your next party or karaoke night!
Karaoke Tips for Your Next Performance
Before we get into my list of the best Johnny Cash karaoke songs, let’s look at some basic karaoke tips. Some of them may seem simple at first, but I review them before each karaoke performance to make sure I have the best experience possible:
- Breathe while you sing. It’s important for your health and your singing to breathe while you are performing. Gasping for air isn’t enjoyable or comfortable. There are resources online that can help you improve your breathing —and singing—skills in as little as a few minutes.
- Practice your songs in advance. Even one run-through at home can go a long way toward helping you have the best performance you can. You may realize that you aren’t comfortable with a certain song before you’re stuck singing it in front of people, or realize that you didn’t know certain lyrics as well as you thought you did. Sing in front of a mirror to learn how to control your posture and expressions while singing. This entire process may also make you less nervous when it comes time to perform in front of people.
- Choose your songs wisely. Some songs are better suited to one audience than another. You may not want to sing about adult themes at a family friendly event, as an example. You also may have limited song choices at certain locations, so knowing what you plan to sing and what your limitations are in advance can help you avoid frustration when it comes time to sing.
- Stay hydrated while singing. Sip from a glass or bottle of water while singing to avoid a dry mouth and throat. This is the best choice for your health and can help you to present your singing voice in its best light. Avoid alcohol and heavy, greasy foods before singing, as well, as they can hinder your ability to sing as well as you normally would.
Now that you know how to prepare for your next karaoke gig, it’s time to pick out your songs. Let’s look at my list of Johnny Cash karaoke tracks to help you avoid spending hours hunting down the perfect tunes for your tracklist.
The 20 Best Johnny Cash Karaoke Songs
How exactly do you choose the best Johnny Cash karaoke songs? While it’s hard to set any of his classics above the rest, I’ve worked to find 20 of his most famous and enjoyable tracks that are a good fit for various karaoke situations. Let’s take a look:
1. “Ring Of Fire”
This is one of Cash’s most famous tracks and one of my favorite country tunes. I first heard it in high school and found it to be a good metaphor for the crazy romances of those teenage years. It’s a song that audiences of all types should enjoy.
Related List: Best Karaoke Songs for Women with Low Voices
2. “Folsom Prison Blues”
If something that’s a bit dark is your type of song, “Folsom Prison Blues” may be just what you’re looking for. Just make sure it’s a good fit for your audience! It can get heavy at times.
3. “Boy Named Sue”
Part dark, part tongue-in-cheek, part pure entertainment, “Boy Named Sue” is a song that’s very demonstrative of Johnny Cash’s musical style. If you want to honor that, this song will do so while highlighting your own skills.
Related List: Best Underrated Karaoke Songs
4. “I Walk The Line”
This is the perfect track to serenade your special someone. Its lyrics are melodic and easy to remember at all skill levels. It’s another one of my country and Johnny Cash favorites due to its catchy sound.
Related List: Best Classic Rock Karaoke Songs
5. “Me And Bobby McGee”
This song tells a story and makes you think about life at the same time. It’s the perfect song to leave an impression on your audience once you have a few karaoke performances to your name.
Related List: Best Country Karaoke Songs for Women
6. “Cry! Cry! Cry!”
This is a classic country track about an untrue, fickle love interest and how painful romance can be when it goes sour. If that’s the type of song that makes you feel inspired, try this out at karaoke! A lot of people can relate to its themes.
7. “If I Were A Carpenter”
This song has been performed by several celebrated musicians. It’s a somber, thoughtful, and romantic track that’s perfect for any singer or audience. I absolutely adore this song, its beauty, and its lyrics.
8. “I Still Miss Someone”
This is an emotional yet simple song about missing a past love. If you miss someone, this song may help you work through your emotions on the karaoke stage. In any case, it’s another relatable track that audiences of all ages can appreciate.
9. “Hey, Porter”
Evoke feelings of travel and excitement with this classic. It tells a story that any audience of any background can enjoy.
Related List: Best Karaoke Songs for Baritones
10. “I Got Stripes”
Here’s another jail-themed track with dark lyrics. Save it for audiences that you know can appreciate it without offense and make sure you are very comfortable with performing karaoke songs.
11. “Wanted Man”
This track is very interesting. It has a dark edge, but not as much as some other tracks I mentioned, so it’s a decent song for all types of audiences.
12. “A Thing Called Love”
Sing about love in the general romantic sense with this classic track. It’s a good fit for all skill levels and audiences.
13. “Give My Love To Rose”
Here’s another dark—and heartbreaking!—story-based song. It’s not a fit for all audiences but can really pack an emotional punch in the right setting.
Related List: Best Karaokes Love Songs
14. “Five Feet High and Rising”
Here’s an adrenaline rush of a song about a disastrous and dangerous flood. It’s another story-focused track that’s a good fit for audiences that are ready for some drama on the karaoke stage. You’ll really keep everyone on the edge of their seats!
15. “Don’t Take Your Guns To Town”
Another story with some dark elements makes up “Don’t Take Your Guns To Town.” Its lyrics are rich and interesting, but they shouldn’t be too hard to learn at various skill levels.
Related List: Best Aerosmith Karaoke Songs
16. “Man In Black”
This is a serious song with an important if sometimes dark message. If you want to honor Johnny Cash and sing something that gets people thinking, this song is a great choice that will leave an impression on the crowd.
17. “Forty Shades Of Green”
This Johnny Cash cover of the Frankie McBride track tells an entertaining story and serves as an ode to the color green. It makes for a great piece of entertainment at any karaoke gathering.
18. “Ragged Old Flag”
This song has a certain feel of United States patriotism to it. This makes it a great song for a holiday like the Fourth of July or Memorial Day that calls for some US pride.
19. “Daddy Sang Bass”
This is one of those Johnny Cash songs that I find to be a lot of fun. It makes for an entertaining country duet.
Related List: Best Karaoke Songs for Couples
20. “Guess Things Happen That Way”
“Guess Things Happen That Way” is another classic breakup piece. If you’re still reeling from a love that ended, this song may be the right choice for you.
Now that you have some of the best Johnny Cash karaoke songs at your disposal, you can give one of the best performances of your life! Get out there and have fun sharing your love of classic country tracks with an audience, whether that audience is made up of loved ones or total strangers who appreciate a great song.